Admissions and classes are basically all conducted in Japanese.
There are no faculties in which you could take a degree entirely in English.
At this stage, you need Japanese language ability in order to sit the entrance exams.
In today’s era of globalization and the information society, interactions with other countries are becoming more and more frequent. In this environment, it is essential for Japan to share its culture and skills with others and gain a proper understanding of how people from other countries think.
Ever since it was founded, Kanagawa University has striven to cultivate educated people capable of being active internationally. From this perspective, accepting students with diverse cultural backgrounds who have obtained an appropriate level of education in other countries is extremely important and valuable to the university’s mission.
The international student exam system is intended for foreign students for whom entrance based on the existing exam system for Japanese students would be difficult. It allows them to study at the university by passing an entrance examination that screens applicants based on their Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students score.
||All faculties and departments
* Entrance exam s are not conducted for the Economic Analysis Major in the Department of Economics, Faculty of Economics.
||Sunday, January 12
||Wednesday, November 27, to Tuesday December 3 (deadline for receipt of application in person or by EMS)
|Results announcement date
||Friday, January 17
|Entrance procedure deadlines
||(First) Thursday, February 6
(Second) Thursday, March 5
International Student Intake
Several students per faculty and department.
Eligibility Criteria (2020)
Applicants must meet all of the requirements listed below:
- Must be at least 18 years old as of April 1, 2020.
- Must hold non-Japanese nationality.
- By March 2020, must have completed 12 years of standard, compulsory education in a country or countries other than Japan, and possess a university entrance qualification in that country or countries (including
individuals who expect to obtain such qualifications) or be designated as having equivalent qualifications by the JAPAN Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Alternatively, the student applicant can take a separate entrance eligibility screening offered by Kanagawa University, to determine whether the student possesses academic ability equivalent or superior to that of a Japanese high school graduate.
- Following enrollment, must possess Japanese language ability at a level that is sufficient to take and understand the same classes as Japanese students.
- Must have taken either the first session (June) or the second session (November) of the 2019 Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students, as administered by the Japan Student Services Organization.
- When taking the entrance exam for either the Department of English (offered at the Faculty of Foreign Languages) or the Department of Cross-Cultural Studies (offered at the Faculty of Cross-Cultural Japanese Study), must have taken the TOEFL® test within the past 12 months and be able to provide the score. More specifically, when taking the entrance exam for the Department of Cross-Cultural Studies at the Faculty of Cross-Cultural Japanese Study, must have a TOEFL iBT® score of 32 or more (online version) or a PBT score of 400 or more (paper version).
*This requirement does not apply to applicants whose native language is English.
- Must have the financial capacity to pay for tuition fees, living expenses and other costs, while being enrolled at Kanagawa University.
A screening will be conducted in advance for applicants who wish to apply as individuals “recognized as possessing academic ability that is equivalent or superior to that of a high school graduate based on a separate entrance eligibility screening by Kanagawa University” under eligibility criterion 3. For details, please refer to the related page on the university's website.
Selection Method (2020)
- Screening of application documents (including eligibility criteria)
- If applicant takes the entrance exam for either the Department of English or the Department of Cross-Cultural Studies (both offered at the Faculty of Foreign Languages), the applicant’s TOEFL® score will also be factored into the decision (as a rule, this does not apply to applicants whose native language is English).
- Written examination
- Short essay in Japanese (60 minutes) - Faculty of Law, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Foreign Languages, Faculty of Human Sciences
- Writing out the content of a lecture in Japanese by listening to it (60 minutes) - Faculty of Business Administration
- Generic questions in Japanese (60 minutes) - Faculty of Science, Faculty of Engineering
- Oral examination
- Scores on the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU), on the subjects and topics specified by each Kanagawa University department
- See table below for the subjects and topics specified by each department. In all cases, the examination questions will be in Japanese.
Below is the table for the subjects and topics in the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students (EJU) or the TOEFL® examination, of which scores will be considered by each department for admission evaluation.
*1 Entrance exams are not conducted for the Economic Analysis Major in the Department of Economics, Faculty of Economics.
Selection Method (2018) (89KB)