Kanagawa University's attentive support for students includes substantial scholarship programs, assistance for extracurricular activities, and support for the maintenance of good health. This equips students to think on their own with autonomy and independence, and to enjoy good physical and mental health, throughout all of their student life activities.

Responsible Departments

<Concerning international students> International Center

(Yokohama Campus 2nd floor of Building 29, Shonan Hiratsuka Campus 2nd floor of Building 11)
TEL:+81-45-491-1701(direct line)

<Other issues related to student life> Student Life Department

(Yokohama Campus 1st floor of Building 1、Shonan Hiratsuka Campus 1st floor of Building 11)
TEL:045-481-5661 (Operator)

Learning Support

Japanese language learning support

The following support is provided for individuals concerned about their Japanese ability, such as international students and returning students:

  • Assistance with study plans
  • Assistance with in-depth reading of materials used in class
  • Assistance with preparing reports
  • Assistance with presentations
  • Japanese Language Proficiency Test and BJT Business Japanese Proficiency Test preparation
  • Loan of study-aid books, books, and CDs
  • Correction of scholarship application letters of intent and other documents
  • Assistance with improving Japanese ability
Yokohama Campus Mondays-Fridays each week: 9:30-16:30,
International Student Support Room, International Center, Building 29
Shonan Hiratsuka Campus Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays each week: 10:00-16:00, Room 208, Building 1

*Room hours may change during long vacations.

Periodic Meetings

For details, please click here.

Mutual learning

It is possible to find friends at the university with whom you can study by teaching each other languages, academic subjects, etc. For example, international students can teach their mother tongue, while Japanese students can teach Japanese, and so forth. Please apply to the International Center with details of the mutual learning you wish to pursue. It is also possible for multiple students to apply together and form a conversation class or the like. The International Center provides an exchange opportunity known as “Language Table”, every day at lunch time in the Global Lounge in Building 29, Yokohama Campus.

Target group Kanagawa University students (Japanese students, international students, exchange students)
Application period/method Ongoing; apply to the International Center on each campus
Application process Apply to the International Center with the subject you want to learn, what you are able to teach, etc. → Attend a Language Table
Activity location Global Lounge, Second Floor, Building 29, Yokohama Campus
Activity time/duration Decided through discussion between mutual learning student partners

Life Support

Tutoring system

This is a system via which, in order to assist new international students and exchange students with respect to student life, learning activities, etc., upper-year students in various departments provide support by responding to detailed questions about international students' student life, studies, etc., from a student perspective. In addition, support is provided by meeting exchange students unfamiliar with Japanese at the airport, assisting with resident registration and other processes. If, as a new international student or exchange student, you don't understand something or have problems, please consult with a student tutor.

Roles of tutors

  1. Advice covering all aspects of student life
  2. Advice related to studies (enrolling in subjects, taking classes, preparing/reviewing, exam preparation, etc.)
  3. Advice on improving Japanese proficiency
  4. Advice on understanding Japan
  5. Promoting interaction with Japanese students
  6. Other assistance to enable international students to adapt to their new life/environment

Periodic meetings

In order to provide support for new international students' and exchange students' studies and student life, meetings are held with International Center staff on a periodic basis. Students are also free to discuss any matters, not just their studies and student life. The Center will contact other departments depending on the details of the discussion, so students may freely discuss matters even when they are not sure who to consult about them. It should also be noted that, besides the scheduled meeting dates, counseling is provided on an as-needed basis at the International Center.

Maintaining Good Health

A health service center and student counseling room are located on each campus. The health service centers are staffed full-time by nurses, with doctors available for specialist medical consultation and treatment on a rotating basis. The student counseling rooms handle a variety of consultations on matters such as careers, studies, and everyday student life. Training gyms are also located on the campuses.

Extracurricular Activities

Students are encouraged to become involved in extracurricular activities, which occupy an important place alongside academic pursuits at our university. Some 160 student clubs and groups at the Yokohama Campus, and around 65 at the Shonan Hiratsuka Campus, are actively engaged in a variety of activities.

Joining the National Health Insurance Program

All non-Japanese citizens who reside in Japan for three months or more are obliged to join the National Health Insurance program. Joining the National Health Insurance program means that if you are ill or suffer an injury, you only have to pay part of the medical expenses (patient co-payment) when you receive care at a medical institution (usually, the amount paid by the patient is 30% of the total medical expenses).

Where to Register and Registration/Cancelation Procedures

The registration procedure is handled at the National Health Insurance section of the city/ward office where you registered as a resident. You should bring your residence card or residence certificate and fill out the required documents. If anything about the procedure is unclear, please check on the website of the city/ward office or visit in person. Before returning to your home country, you should cancel your registration at the National Health Insurance section of the city/ward office and return your health insurance card.

Application for change of Status of Residence / Status of Residence Previously Granted

Status of Residence

International students to be admitted to Kanagawa University, as well as those studying at Kanagawa University, are permitted to stay in Japan within their permitted period of stay. Please make sure you follow the procedure to extend the period of stay or change the status of residence before the expiration date. You also need documentation made by the university so please be careful.

Application by Proxy System

Application for Extension of Period of Stay and Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted can be submitted in two ways: 1) Direct application (individuals submit the application to the immigration office), and 2) Application by proxy (Kanagawa University submits the application on behalf of the student). Applying by proxy saves you the trouble of directly going to the immigration office; however, in this method it is prohibited to leave Japan during the application period. Therefore, students who are planning to go to their home country or travel should follow the direct application procedure.

International students who wish to apply by proxy must submit the application form related to the status of residence to the International Center by the predetermined monthly deadline. However, There is no application by proxy in April. We will provide notification of the deadlines for submission of applications to the International Center, so please check the dates beforehand. Conditions, including school attendance, should be met to apply by proxy. Please contact the International Center for details.

Permission for part-time employment

When international students work part-time, it is necessary to apply for permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted. As for the permission target, the law stipulates that regular international students are allowed to work 28 hours or less per week (eight hours or less per day during long vacations) and prohibits them from accepting employment at entertainment and amusement-related businesses (including bars, pachinko parlors and mah-jong parlors). Please note that violation of such stipulations could lead to the revocation of the status of residence. Further, the date of expiration for the permission to engage in an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted (permission of part-time employment) is the same as the date of expiration for the status of residence (visa). A person that has accepted a part-time job without permission for an activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted will be deported. Students who are planning to work part-time are recommended to apply for this permission concurrently with their application for extension of period of stay.

*Click here for other visa-related information (Japanese only).